Alcohol for cooking?

Hi everybody,

when having PSC then alcohol is a definite "nono". But what about alcohol for cooking? Some recipes call for wine in the sauce, calvados for the dessert, cointreau for the cake and so on.

What's your experience with that? Is the alcohol gone when cooking is done? Do you think it's tolerable because there is not that much alcohol (left) in the food when it gets eaten?

By the way, I never liked alcohol much. My liver must have signaled all my live to stay away from it.

I'm very curious how you look at this topic and what comments come back.

Have a good time everybody

Rippi

I looked up your question and found this on a site about cooking 'myths' which seems to best sum up the answers:

Here's another "common sense" myth that turns out to be false. Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water so it should all evaporate first, right? Nope - that's not the way it works. The alcohol will evaporate faster than the water but there will still be some left after even extended cooking. The text below shows just how much alcohol is left after different methods and periods of cooking.

Alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat: 85%

Alcohol flamed: 75%

No heat, stored overnight: 70%

Baked 15 minutes, alcohol stirred into mixture: 40%

Baked 2.5 hours, alcohol stirred into mixture: 5%

Actually, low alcohol use seems ok in few studies I have seen, eg
2012 nih study conclusion:

“CONCLUSION: PSC patients have low alcohol consumption. The lack of correlation between fibrosis and alcohol intake indicates that a low alcohol intake is safe in these patients”

I’m certainly not worried myself about alcohol in cooking.

The French and Italians use a lot of wine with their cooking. Sometimes they will even add it to their recipe.