Cost of ursodiol

My niece went to the pharmacy to pick up her Rx and found her ursodiol had gone up in price – $800 for 3 months. Online articles confirm raise in cost. Any help for people who can’t afford this ridiculous price increase?

Ask your pharmacist about other options. For example, I once had an Rx for let's say 250mg capsules and they were very expensive. Then my doctor changed the Rx to 300mg capsules and the cost dropped a lot. Different manufacturers make different doses and forms (pills vs capsules vs caplets vs ??) that have different pricing. Sometimes it is as easy as finding which form is the cheapest for you.

1 Like

Thank you.

That's how it worked for me when I was on that drug for a while. My doctor changed the dose just a bit, then the price dropped a ton because a generic was available at that dosage.

Stephen Hammond said:

Ask your pharmacist about other options. For example, I once had an Rx for let's say 250mg capsules and they were very expensive. Then my doctor changed the Rx to 300mg capsules and the cost dropped a lot. Different manufacturers make different doses and forms (pills vs capsules vs caplets vs ??) that have different pricing. Sometimes it is as easy as finding which form is the cheapest for you.

Wow. If urso was that expensive I would stop taking it. Studies are inconclusive on whether urso even helps with the long term progression of the disease. If it doesn’t delay time to liver transplant and it doesn’t treat symptoms of acute cholangitis infections, then I’m not sure it’s so essential.

A lot depends on where you are.
I think there are huge differences in the USA and other countries.
I am on a Blue Cross individual plan. The cost is $150 a month, but I get huge reduction on all meds. It averages out to savings of hundreds a month.
Also covers most of my dental and savings on other professional services including acupuncture.

It is worth looking at the cost vs savings of plans as expenses go up.

I found out from my pharmacist that Obamacare has a new rule that goes into effect either in December or January that will require drug companies to justify any increase in their prices. Because of this, they have jacked their prices up substantially in anticipation of this new ruling. It has affected not only name brand drugs but generics as well. That's at least what I heard. Hope this helps.

Just as Information: in Germany a box of 100 capsules of 500mg Urso costs 77 €, it makes 97 $.

Perhaps one of these might help:

http://www.goodrx.com/ursodiol

http://www.helprx.info/ursodiol-discounts-coupons