NSAIDs

Recently I have noticed some discussions on this site were people were using NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) such as Aleve, ibuprofen (Advil), etc. I was surprised by this. Several years ago an orthopedist prescribed Aleve for a torn meniscus in my left knee. It definitely reduced my knee pain and as well as pain from arthritis. (How wonderful to feel so good!) Within a week I had severe upper right quadrant pain in my abdomen.

I have PSC. Currently, all blood tests are normal, but I do suffer from itching and discomfort in the area of my liver. I spoke to my hepatologist at that time, and he was quite clear that I should not have been taking Aleve or any other NSAIDs. He said I could use Tylenol.

I was wondering what your experience was with NSAIDs and what your hepatologists were recommending.

Hi Dakota,

Admittedly, my doctor's hae always advised me against the use of NSAIDs but from what I understand this had been mainly because of the risks that they pose for the gastro tract as well as the fact that I was on corticosteroids for some time for my ulcerative colitis. Long term use of these is harmful to the kidney's but I'm not aware of the risks to the liver per say.

You may find the following of interest:

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/features/are-nsaids-safe-for-you