Progressive Vision Loss

i first had to get glasses/contacts when i was 12. at every annual check up since then my eyes have gotten progressively worse. at my last appointment the dr. made the comment that my vision loss should have leveled off when i was in my early 20s. i didn't think much of it at the time. today, i thought of that comment and began to wonder if the crohns, celiac, or psc might be behind the problem. after all, getting diagnosed and getting glasses all happened around the same time. has anyone else had the same thing happen?

Dear asizCreatives,

I do have some inside knowledge in this area. I assume you are nearsighted and your glasses are getting thicker, but you can still see with glasses or contacts. If so, most nearsighted people do level off in their 20's. A small percentage do progress still into their 30's. If you have poorly controlled diabetes that can also contribute to the nearsighted problem. I am not aware of any connection between PSC or the other conditions you mentioned and nearsightedness. Once you do level out with your nearsightedness (and your health), corrective surgery may be an option.

Very frequently, nearsightedness is inherited. I would not be surprised if one or both of your parents are nearsighted.

Stay Active and Healthy!

EAD3

thank you for the info. i don't have diabetes but, yes, i am nearsighted and yes my dad is nearsighted but his eyesight leveled off in his 20s and remained so until he hit his 60s. so maybe i just fall into that small percentage of people in their 30s. thanks again!

EAD3 said:

Dear asizCreatives,

I do have some inside knowledge in this area. I assume you are nearsighted and your glasses are getting thicker, but you can still see with glasses or contacts. If so, most nearsighted people do level off in their 20's. A small percentage do progress still into their 30's. If you have poorly controlled diabetes that can also contribute to the nearsighted problem. I am not aware of any connection between PSC or the other conditions you mentioned and nearsightedness. Once you do level out with your nearsightedness (and your health), corrective surgery may be an option.

Very frequently, nearsightedness is inherited. I would not be surprised if one or both of your parents are nearsighted.

Stay Active and Healthy!

EAD3