Umbilical Hernia

New to this forum, just curious if anyone has developed an umbilical hernia from PSC I am unable to operate on it right now until it becomes strangulated or after liver transplant. Which could be awhile because my numbers are relatively stable…which is a good thing. However, my hernia is very uncomfortable and bothers me. Again, new to this forum looking forward to hearing others stories and information about ways to beat PSC.

Fred,

A hearty welcome to you in joining this supportive community. Regarding your question about umbilical hernia. I had one for many years and it got worse right up to my transplant this summer. I went to see a surgeon, spoke with my hepatologist, etc., and they would not operate on it unless it became an emergency. Because of the liver disease and my PSC being so advanced it could put me in jeopardy if they operated. So, they will not operate in most cases unless they have no other choices as it would be risky. How is your PSC progressing? Do you know what your MELD score is currently?

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to support you in any way we can.

Mark

PSC 2011 / Liver Transplant 7-2015

Fred,

One thing I didn't mention...The surgeon DID repair the hernia during the transplant operation. I feels so much better now!

Mark

Thanks for your information Mark. Glad to be hear to help learn from others and share my stories. My meld score is currently a 12 but goes up and down due to my bilirubin I believe. Right now my bili is 2.8, alk phos is 265, and with AST and ALT right around 100. So my meds are controlling for the most part. Just daily side effects like hernia is where I struggle. Recently had an episode of encephalopathy around thanksgiving. Was very foggy and confused as far as my memory and brain went. Got prescribed lacutose and that has seemed to help a lot. Very scary when you start to feel foggy in your brain.